Elected representatives and norms to be enforced to protect democracy.

I think we can do something about our elected representatives.

Those who take the oath to protect the constitution must be made to sign an undertaking with minimum three cardinal norms to be observed: breaking any one should attract automatic disqualification of the member with a 6 year ban on standing for any election.

To my mind the norms which are basic are:

1. I shall not obstruct the proceedings of the Legislative Assembly or the Parliament by disobeying the Speaker's directive or by leaving my allocated chair and rush out to physically gesture and shout down another member's expressing his views with Speaker's permission.

2. I shall not encourage or organise attacks on elected representatives nor peaceful citizens through inciting speeches or my groups loyal to me in case they have different views than mine, but commit to follow the due constitutional process to which I have taken oath to protect and follow.

3.I will only use civil and parliamentary language in expressing my views either in Assembly/or Parliament, or outside in public meetings and in public appearance, and will remain fully committed in spirit and action to the welfare of the people whom I represent in particular and to my country in general.

The proof of a recorded audio-visual clips of parliamentary proceedings or a public TV channel will suffice for the Election Commission to initiate proceedings suo moto and within a week of such incident the election commission shall finalise the decision.

Any citizen of the country can submit the video proof to the Election Office for taking necessary action on the elected representative; the EC is bound to take cognisance and act within a week of such submission.

Appeal lies to Supreme Court alone for the decision handed down by the Election Commission.

Our country needs this kind of check to balance our representatives on whom we are spending thousands of crores all these years since independence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The great Indian Puzzle.

SKYBUS RAIL : The unique disruptive rail technology of this century.