A friend sent me the story of how Anna Cap made a difference in Delhi!

You may have read about the experience of the retired army officer who met a lot of people at Ram Lila Maidan where Anna Hazare was on fast. Here is something experienced by my cousin who happened to be in Delhi that time. "I was in Delhi to attend a meeting in the Planning Commission's Office. When I got out of Delhi airport, some youngster approached me and gave me a small national flag to pin on my shirt. This is something which I could obviously not refuse. Then they gave me a white cap with "I am Anna Hazare" written printed it in. I decided to wear the cap, got into a taxi and told him to take me to my lodging. On the way there was a police check point, and the cop peeped into the taxi and waved us on. The cabbie seemed to be happy. and said "Aap ki wajah se bach gaye" (Escaped, thanks to you). When I asked what I had doen to save him, he said 'Every day, these police guys make us pay 100 rupees to pass this point, and if someone does not pay he is held up for hours. He saw you Anna Hazare cap and let us go without extorting money"
I kept my cap on even as I entered Planning Commission Office. The peons and sundry staff, who normally keep gossiping in the corridors or block your way, all melted away or stood out of the way with heads bowed down. I kept my cap on even during the meeting. After it was over, the clerk came to me and asked for my journey ticket and other documents. A bit surprised, I asked him why he wanted these. His answer "Sahab, sab kuchh aaj hi dena hai" i.e. my fare, lodging bills and sitting fees for the meeting were all to be reimbursed today itself. Lo and behold, I got the cheque 15 minutes later. Normally it takes about 3 months!!
I went back to airport to catch my return flight. Everyone, including the security staff at the gate was staring at me, but politely stood aside. Since this trip was on government expense, I had to travel by the famed Air India. But my magic cap resulted in very polite treatment from the check-in counter staff,
the x-ray machine crew and all other. While waiting for the flight, I went to one of the shops and bought two books. People were staring at me. The shop assistant took my credit card, got my sign on the slip, and gave the books to me in a packet. As I left the shop he came running after me 'Sir, your bill" and gave it to me.
Next I went to the cafe for some snacks. The young man at the counter was very eager to speak to me. The boy would not accept payment from me for the snacks, till I said that 'Not paying for my snacks will amount to corruption" He asked me a a dozen questions, including my connection with Anna Hazare. Although I have known Anna for years, I feigned to be unconnected, and said I was only supporting him.
On my way home from airport at Pune I ran into a group of villagers, who were all planning to go to Ralegan Siddhi. seeing my cap they waved and requested the driver to stop the taxi. I got down to speak to them. On learning that I had just returned from Delhi, some of them hugged me asked me about Anna's health, the progress of his movement and so on. Two days later, I ran into a procession of students, all wearing Anna Hazare caps (I was not wearing one). I parked my car by the side and chatted with them. I asked them "You are all students, how are you affected by corruption?" On boy, son of an auto-rickshaw driver said "Sir, when my mother sends me to get a gas cylinder replacement, the fellow tells me to come after 10 days.
But if someone shows a twenty rupee note, a cylinder is available immediately. Is this not corruption?" Another boy whose father owns a scooter repair shop, said "Sir, they are passing us up to 8th class without studying. Then in 9th and 10th we are given grace marks and allowed to pass. After that when we take admission to any course, we find it beyond our capability. All these 'pass everyone' rules are causing terrible harm to our careers. We have to fight to correct the system, else our lives will be ruined"
This was a real eye opener!! Anna has not just attacked corruption, he has unleashed youth power."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The great Indian Puzzle.

SKYBUS RAIL : The unique disruptive rail technology of this century.